We Can Be Perfectly Clothed

Core Wounds.

We all have them. No one escapes childhood without one or more of these core beliefs that shape and drive the way we approach and avoid throughout the rest of our entire lives.

How do we go from eager, unassuming, adventurous toddlers to fearful, hesitant, sometimes paralyzed adults?

I cannot unhear the things my parents unknowingly said that contributed to the haunting words and phrases still echoing in my mind more than 50 years later.

It isn't their fault, and I cannot blame them for the enemy twisting their words to virtually strangle and suffocate me for decades.

I cannot unsay those I said to contribute to the ones rattling around in the minds of my three adult children.

It is not my fault or my responsibility to erase all the mistakes I made in the two-plus decades I've been a mama.

I was not, nor am I able to heal the damage that's been done from my own mouth or the mouths of others with whom they've crossed paths in their steep climb to adulthood. I can ask for forgiveness, and I can do my best to stop adding to those lies they hear.

We flippantly mentioned throughout the years of having children the money we needed to have been putting away for future counseling sessions for all of us.

Unfortunately we were not so proactive, and that money would have been helpful NOW.


  • Now, when the words have been said and digested.
  • Now, when the core beliefs and core wounds are messing with the three bright futures I prayed haphazardly for in the midst of my own raging battle for worth. 
  • Now, when body image, work ethic, spiritual fortitude, generosity, and so much more have been ingrained and misshaped.


Sometimes our own fights distract us from battling on the behalf of others.

I'm pretty sure that's exactly how the enemy wants it. He wants me so consumed with my own lack, my own hurts, my own shortcomings that I leave my children uncovered and flailing on their own in the midst of a heated battle for their very souls.

Is this a battle that's already been won? Yes and no.

Ultimately the battle for all of our souls has been won on the cross. Jesus sat down at the right hand of His Father. He is done!
"But when Christ had offered for all time a single sacrifice for sins, he sat down at the right hand of God, waiting from that time until his enemies should be made a footstool for his feet" Hebrews 10:12-13

Yet, the "no" I'm referring to comes when I don't remain defeated.

The "no" comes in when I actively replace the twisted thinking and error messages I received with truth.

You and I can choose to believe what we heard and think we heard about ourselves.

We can rehearse all those negative phrases over and over again every day and paralyze any growth or purpose God has for us.

OR --

We can turn it around.

We can apply TRUTH to every single flaming dart and thrill when we hear it fizzle and drop to the ground at our feet.

You hear lies. God has truth to fight it.

*Where do I start?

The Bible is full of positive messages. Yet I can't apply the whole Bible to my life on a daily basis. I can't possibly remember ALL truth all the time.

One place I must return DAILY, if I'm honest is here:

The Whole Armor of God

Finally, be strong in the Lord and in the strength of his might. Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil. For we do not wrestle against flesh and blood, but against the rulers, against the authorities, against the cosmic powers over this present darkness, against the spiritual forces of evil in the heavenly places. Therefore take up the whole armor of God, that you may be able to withstand in the evil day, and having done all, to stand firm. Stand therefore, having fastened on the belt of truth, and having put on the breastplate of righteousness, and, as shoes for your feet, having put on the readiness given by the gospel of peace. In all circumstances take up the shield of faith, with which you can extinguish all the flaming darts of the evil one; and take the helmet of salvation, and the sword of the Spirit, which is the word of God, praying at all times in the Spirit, with all prayer and supplication. To that end, keep alert with all perseverance, making supplication for all the saints, and also for me, that words may be given to me in opening my mouth boldly to proclaim the mystery of the gospel, for which I am an ambassador in chains, that I may declare it boldly, as I ought to speak."  Ephesian 6:10-20 ESV
Now, you may be saying, Pam, that's a bunch of verses and takes too much time to do every. single. day.

Let's think about it this way though:

What if you opted not to physically dress every morning?

What if you chose not to cover the part the "breastplate of righteousness" covers?

What if you were "too busy" to put on those "shoes of peace" and got in your small, economical hybrid, eco-friendly SUV in your bare feet?

What if . . . instead of your "shield of faith" you rushed out and forgot your keys or misplaced your purse with your all-important driver's license?

What if you chose not to fix your hair and walked out with bed head instead of just leaving your customized "helmet of salvation" on the shelf?

Any of the above scenarios is comical in practice.

None of us would choose or execute our days in such a fashion.

Yet . . . we effectively allow ourselves (myself completely included) to exit our homes routinely in a state of spiritual nakedness.

God graciously offers and instructs us in His Word "in the evil day" to put on the armor He created and crafted specifically to fit each of us perfectly.

You tell me which day you wake up isn't "the evil day"? The world we live in confirms that reality every. single. second with the atrocities happening all around us. We like to talk about being in a battle and awaiting the victory God has for us, but we are NOT home yet!

The battle is STILL raging, and we MUST be equipped. Daily.

So, I am challenging you and myself with this:

*** Choose today to intentionally take five minutes before you leave your home (or in your car on the way to wherever you must go) and put on each piece of armor your Abba Father crafted specifically for you. (Next time we'll discuss a way to make that more visual for you).
*** Repeat that process for 30 days (in order to get that habit firmly in place). *** Note each day a way you feel more equipped to face what comes your way.
*** Note one way how God is giving you the power to wield each piece of armor He has instructed you to wear. This may be a different piece each day.
*** Pray that armor over those you love.

  • You can't take away the mistakes. 
  • You can't unsay the words that have been said.  
  • You can pray. 
  • You CAN pray. 
  • Pray for protection. 
  • Pray for their armor to be in place. 
  • Pray for healing. 
  • Pray for truth to overshadow the lies and cause those lies to have no power. 
  • Pray for victory.
  • Pray for God's will to be done.

We do all have core wounds.

We also have a gentle, gracious Heavenly Daddy who can and will heal us from them and replace those raw, aching places with His love, His truth, and His protection from the onslaught of lies shot at us from an enemy who does continually seek to "kill, steal, and destroy".

Lean into Him today.

He has your armor ready! Choose to pick it up and be perfectly clothed.

Leaving a trail of beauty~

Pam

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Be Kind

Mom: I Always Knew I’d Miss You . . .

By Name